Recovering from a Stroke
If you’ve experienced a stroke, we can help you gain back your capabilities and independence.
Our staff maintains specialized education and competencies in stroke rehabilitation.
We utilize innovative treatment techniques and the latest equipment to support evidence-based treatment approaches that promote optimal recovery and the
likelihood of a discharge home.
Our comprehensive rehabilitation stroke program includes review of 228 evidence-based recommendations from the American Stroke Association. Nursing, therapy, case management, pharmacy, and dietary personnel are specifically educated in stroke rehabilitation techniques and intervention to ensure that a treatment plan is created to fit your individual needs.
The depth and knowledge of our stroke rehabilitation program allow us to provide you with the highest standards of care, while maintaining the ability to adapt and advance the program by tracking our outcomes and adjusting the program as needed.
Individuals who have experienced a stroke and come to our hospital can expect:
- Individualized care plan that incorporates evidence-based evaluation tools and intervention strategies, that may include:
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallow (FEES)
- Free water program to maintain hydration and promote swallow recovery
- Brain Break program for scheduled therapeutic rest periods
- Timed voiding program to improve continence
- Ampcare Effective Swallow Protocol
- Electrical muscle stimulation to facilitate activation in muscle groups for movement
- Taping techniques to promote functional use of a limb
- Mirror therapy to promote movement in the affected limb
- Patient-centered care, with active participation by you and your family regarding your recovery process. Your individual goals are prioritized through family conferences.
- Family and caregiver training and education, with hands-on demonstration for comfort and confidence to prepare you for discharge
- Physician-led interdisciplinary team that coordinates and oversees your progress, helping you to improve:
- Speech and language issues
- Swallowing difficulties
- Balance and strength
- Motor skills
- Thinking and reasoning abilities
- Sensory issues
- Bladder and bowel control
- Safety awareness
Upon discharge, we remain a partner in your healthcare. We understand that your best opportunity for recovery is within a few months following your medical event. We want to help you find ways to capitalize on that time.
We help arrange further resources as needed, such as follow-up physician appointments, outpatient therapy, or home health. We supply you and your family with educational information on continued exercises, behavior modifications, home modifications, and assistive devices, if necessary.
Our goal is to help you reach the highest level of function and independence during your recovery so you can return home.