Recovering from a Stroke
If you’ve experienced a stroke, we can help you gain back your capabilities and independence.
Our staff is specially trained in stroke rehabilitation, providing evidence-based treatments that result in quicker recovery times and more discharges home.
Our comprehensive rehabilitation stroke program includes review of 228 evidence-based recommendations from the American Stroke Association. Our nurses and therapists review every recommendation and apply the ones that fit your individual needs as a patient.
The depth and knowledge of our stroke rehabilitation program allow us to provide you with the highest standards of care, while maintaining the ability to adapt and advance the program to new research and evidence as it occurs.
As a stroke patient, you can expect:
- An individualized care plan that includes advanced treatments as needed, including:
- Yale Swallow Protocol for aspiration risks
- Brain Break Protocol for scheduled therapeutic rest periods
- PHQ9 to assess mental well-being/depression
- Ampcare’s Effective Swallowing Protocol (ESP) to help with safe swallowing and eating
- Patient-centered care, with active participation by you and your family regarding your recovery process. Your individual goals are prioritized through private family conferences.
- Family and caregiver training and education
- Physician-led interdisciplinary team that coordinates and tracks your progress, helping you to improve:
- Speech and language issues
- Swallowing difficulties
- Balance and strength
- Motor skills
- Thinking and reasoning abilities
- Sensory issues
- Bladder and bowel control
- Safety awareness
Upon discharge, we remain a partner in your healthcare. We understand that your best opportunity for recovery is within a few months following your medical event. We want to help you find ways to capitalize on that time.
We help arrange further resources as needed, such as follow-up physician appointments, outpatient therapy, or home health. We supply you and your family with educational information on continued exercises, behavior modifications, home modifications, and assistive devices, if necessary.
Our goal is to help you reach the highest level of independence and success during your recovery.
AHA/ASA Stroke Guidelines
Aphasia and Speech Therapy
Comprehensive Stroke Program
Therapeutic Brain Breaks
FEES – Swallow Testing
The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association strongly recommends that stroke patients receive rehabilitative care at medical rehabilitation hospitals following their initial hospital stays versus nursing homes.